Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Cheese and Pasta...Yup

Anyone who knows me knows that I am obsessed with pasta to an astounding and rather unhealthy degree.  And cheese. CHEE-EE-EE-EE-SE. Oh how I love you. While living in Italy, I seriously consumed anywhere from 3-5 pasta dishes per day, with perhaps a pound or two of fresh mozzarella/parmigiano/burrata in between (to balance out my food pyramid, of course.) I seriously must have broken some sort of record. It was the only thing I ate, and my classmates were horrified. 


After moving back to the United States of American Cheese and Atkins, I fell into a deep, dark depression. It was no longer possible (or acceptable) to behave in such dietary antics. Pasta wasn't everywhere, and cheese was orange and came in zip-lock bags. I was all alone. Sigh. Fortunately, after a few months of reintroducing my body to the other food groups, I was able to get over my lost love and go back to only needing it about once or twice a week. 


But now, at the FRENCH Culinary Institute, I am reminded of my depressed days, as no one seems to show any regard for Italian cuisine -- which, to me, trumphs all contenders. However, on one glorious day, we paid tribute to the greatest flavor in the world: cheesypasta (that's right -- one word). We had a cheese tasting, cheese making, and pasta making. I was literally hugging the sheets of dough as they transformed into spaghetti and getting choked up as I hand pulled my mozzarella. Needless to say, flavor cheesypasta is the reason why I am in this industry.


stinky, moldy, gorgeous cheese tasting
my mozzarella cuties



warm, fresh mozz, WOWWWW

sheep's milk ricotta


mushroom risotto

slow cooked bolognese sauce

rolling love

rolled love

gnocchi love

spinach love


gnocchi in a brown butter basil sauce

ricotta ravioli bolognese

spaghetti cacio pepe

No comments:

Post a Comment